2016 SPORTSMAN DIVISION Rules
ALL competitors are required to run raceceivers.
ALL CARS MUST MEET MECHANICAL, SAFETY AND APPEARANCE REGULATIONS AT ALL TIMES
Automobile Body Regulations
- CLARIFICATION- OEM IS DEFINED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AS MANUFACTURED. NOT ALTERED IN ANY MANNER
- AMERICAN MADE STREET CARS, 1960 THROUGH THE CURRENT MODEL YEAR, MINIMUM 108 INCH WHEEL BASE. NO CONVERTIBLES, STATION WAGONS, OR FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS. BODY MUST MEET APPROVAL OF SAFETY OFFICIALS. Body MUST be in stock position with completely enclosed cockpit. Firewall MUST be installed between driver and fuel cell. Late model style interior may be used. All cars MUST run a hood. Body Panels and doors may be fabricated, of .040 aluminum or 24 gauge steel sheet metal only. MUST retain original appearance. MUST have loop or chains front and rear for towing. Roof MUST remain stock appearing. Aftermarket steel or aluminum bodies are permitted. Minimum ground clearance in front of front tires shall be 8 inches. Maximum width of body at any point 76 inches with no tolerance. Front nose piece including flares maximum 81 inches no tolerance. Minimum opening size at any point (window or interior) 12 inches. Maximum body rake of 4 inches measured in a continuous plane from the firewall to the rear of the body. Dropped interior allowed, however no part of the quarter panel may be higher than the deck lid. Deck lid must be a minimum length of 18 inches.
- All glass, chrome, plastic trim, and windshield MUST be removed. Windshield opening MUST be covered with ½ inch by ½ inch or 1 inch by 1 inch wire mesh. With three (3) upright bars of 3/8 inch steel rod minimum welded to roll cage in front of driver, 6 inches apart.
- Rear spoiler may be Lexan or aluminum with a maximum of 8 inches of material. Measured from the deck lid. SUPPORTS: Maximum of three (3), not to exceed 18 inches in length, no higher than three (3) inches in the front angled to the top of the spoiler.
- Roll over bars MUST be a box over and behind the driver. Bars MUST be at least 1 ½ inch OD steel tubing with a minimum of .095 wall thickness NO ALUMINUM TUBING. A minimum of four (4) bars of the same 1 ½ inch material as the roll bars MUST protect the inside of the driver’s door. Three (3) bars of the same material MUST protect the inside of the right side door. All door bars MUST have a minimum of three (3) vertical pegs from door bars to the frame in each door. Top of driver’s helmet MUST be below roll cage. All roll cages MUST be approved by Safety Officials. Rear of driver’s seat (at base) to center line of rear end housing shall be a minimum of 27 inches.
- NO rearview mirrors of any kind permitted.
- Front loop not to exceed 1 ¾ inches in diameter round tubing with a maximum of .125 wall thickness. Three (3) pegs for support may be used on each side, loop not to exceed 5 inches as measured from front of radiator in stock position to front side of tubing. All tubing shall be steel.
- Contained fuel cell required, MUST be in trunk, securely fastened to the frame rails. Electric fuel pumps allowed. Fuel shutoff valve MUST be within easy reach of driver. Rear loop may be used steel pipe 1 ¾ in diameter maximum. MUST be inside trunk and follow contour of the frame. Fuel cell not to be lower than center of rear end. MUST have loop to protect fuel cell. Tank or cell MUST mount in frame of minimum 1 inch X 1 inch steel. Two (2) 2inch X 1/8 inch straps must surround the cell. Gasoline or E-85 fuel only. NO ADDITIVES OF ANY KIND ALLOWED.
- Front bumpers may be stock appearing. Bars or pipe MUST extend to frame horn to prevent hooking on other cars. There will be no sharp edges on bars or pipes. Rear bumpers, a loop may be put on top of rear bumper only, not to exceed six (6) inches in height. Loop may be supported by a maximum of four (4) pegs. Bumpers MUST be tied to rear frame. Loop tied to support tubing or bars. Tubing may be a maximum of 1 ¾ inch diameter by 1/8 inch wall. No sharp edges. Maximum 18 inches height of rear bumper at center of car. If rear bumper is fabricated, maximum of 2 inch X 3 inch rectangle, 1 ¾ inch round tubing may be used.
- All frames MUST remain OEM stock in shape and thickness and run from the front bumper to the center of the rear end.
- Rear frame may be fabricated from center of rear end to the rear bumper.
- NO TITANIUM OR OTHER EXOTIC MATERIALS ALLOWED FOR THE BODY, ENGINE OR SUSPENSION.
- Any engine/chassis combination may be utilized.
- Engines MUST remain stock except as noted below.
- GM 602 crate engine may be used with the following specifications.
- Engine must be GM P/N 88958602GMR350/350 circle track engine. The engine will be purchased directly from AARA and sealed with the Association seals prior to delivery.
- Carburetor: Holley 650 4 bbl. Part number 0-80541. Carburetor spacer 2 inch is allowed. 750 Holley permitted.
- Valve springs GM part number 10212811 or Competition Cams part number 981-16.
- Push rods GM part number 14095256
- Rocker arms GM part number 10089648 or Crane part number 11800-16, 1.5 ratio.
- Rocker arm nuts GM parts number 25534352 or Crane part number 99768-16.
- Harmonic balancer GM parts number 12555879.
- All other engines MUST be stock bore and stroke as per manufacture.
- Maximum overbore .060 + .012 WEAR
- Aftermarket stock dimension, stock appearing, and stock weight crank shaft permitted. NO gun drilling, knife edge or pendulum cut. Aftermarket steel connecting rods permitted, cap screws are OK.
- 360 cubic inch maximum as manufactured
- Balancing Okay
- Maximum compression for any engine 11.00:1
- Any aftermarket steel balancer permitted
- Cylinder heads may have three (3) angle valve cut. No angle milling, polishing, or porting allowed. May have screw in studs, and guide plates.
- **NO VORTEC HEADS**
- MAXIMUM VALVE SIZE FOR ALL SMALL BLOCK ENGINES: Intake 2.02 inch max. All others OEM stock as manufactured. Dual valve springs permitted 1.5 inch max diameter. Aftermarket springs with or without dampers okay. Aftermarket retainers okay.
- Stock type rocker arms, standard ratio for engine run. Stock style replacement full- roller rockers optional. Poly locks allowed. Stud girdles permitted.
- Any flat tappet cam allowed. Standard lifter bore for engine used. NO gear or belt drive.
- Flat or dish top pistons only, no positive deck. Free floating pins okay.
- Any cast iron OEM or the following aluminum intakes may be used.
Manifold must bolt directly to heads no modification.
- Headers optional. All exhaust MUST exit away from driver. No Zoomies. Noise level MUST meet local track decibel limits.
- Two (2) barrel carburetors only, maximum 500 CFM Holley # 4412. Billet metering blocks allowed, removal of choke assembly and air horn are the only modifications allowed.
- Maximum two (2) inch carburetor adapter allowed. Maximum air cleaner height 5 inches from air horn base.
- Engine location, foremost spark plug must be aligned with or be in front of center of upper ball joint.
- Any distributor, NO magnetos or crank triggers.
- A ¾ inch plug must be installed in the oil pan for inspection purposes. This access hole must be directly in line with a visible connecting rod journal.
- Crankshaft claim- Crankshaft may be claimed for $400.00. Claim must be made prior to feature race. All claims are final. Only Sportsman driver competing in the event or AARA may make claim. Failure to sell shall result in a $200.00 fine, loss of 400 points and loss of all monies earned at the event.
All cars must meet minimum weights according to the following:
A. 318 cubic in or less- as manufactured
GM-Ford-Chrysler. OEM cast iron heads and approved intake, minimum weight 2700 lbs. with driver after race.
B. 360 cubic inch or less- as manufactured
GM-Ford-Chrysler. OEM cast iron heads and approved intake minimum weight 2900 lbs. with driver after race.
Aftermarket cast iron heads and approved intake minimum weight 3000 lbs. with driver after race.
C. 602 Crate engine must weigh a minimum of 2800 lbs with driver after race.
DRIVE TRAIN, CLUTCHES, AND BELLHOUSING
- Any OEM style clutch allowed. NO ALUMINUM. DRIVE TRAIN COMPONENTS 10 inch minimum.
- NO racing pressure plate. Aluminum flywheel ok. Hydraulic clutches, throw bearing optional.
- NO aluminum on clutch disc or pressure plate.
- Multi disc clutches permitted minimum 7 ¼ inch diameter.
- Blow proof bellhousing or blanket required. Must be approved by AARA Tech Official.
- Any OEM transmission, NO internal clutches. Automatics MUST have working torque converter.
- ALL GEARS MUST WORK.
- NO LIGHTENING OF INTERNAL GEARS
REAR ENDS AND BRAKE ASSEMBLIES
- Any all steel non quick change rear end is permitted. Mini spools and full spools are optional: However aluminum spools are not permitted. Aluminum drive plates are permitted.
- Drum or disc brakes are permitted. Stock or aftermarket vented steel rotors and steel OEM calipers allowed. Fabricated brackets permitted. NO drilling, cutting or lightening of drum or rotor except for wheel studs.
- Cockpit adjustable brakes permitted.
- Minimum three (3) wheel brakes. If three (3) wheel brakes are run, right front brake assembly may be removed.
- MUST BE STEEL AND PAINTED WHITE.
- MUST have steel drive shaft loop within six (6) inches to twelve (12) inches of the front of u-joint. LOOP MUST be steel ¼ thick X 1 inch minimum around driveshaft.
ONE (1) automotive battery 14 inches X 8 inch maximum size. Battery must not be mounted in driver’s compartment. No coolers of any type in driver’s compartment. Must be mounted inside the frame rails.
- NO modifying of any part in any manner unless otherwise stated, except for the use of heavy duty ball joints on lower “A” frame.
- NO cockpit adjustable suspension of any type.
- NO aluminum suspension components.
- Front: stock suspension only. Lower “A” frame MUST be OEM style and in stock location. Any all steel upper control arm is permitted. Aluminum shaft optional. Racing shocks may be mounted outboard. Fabricated upper “A” frame is permitted. Front cross member may be altered for fuel pump and steering clearance.
- Any five (5) lug stock as manufactured, OEM spindle may use spindle saver.
- Inner or outer tie rod ends may be replaced with heim ends.
- Four (4) weight jacks may be used
- Rear springs must be in stock location. Factory upper spring bucket must remain. Center of spring bucket may be removed. Jack bolt must be solid, no mono balls, swivels, or heim ends and fit directly into spring cup. Lower coil spring mount must remain in stock location. No coil over eliminators.
- Rear Trailing Arms May be Replaced with stock type aftermarket style Trailing Arms. Must be equal length for chassis used, No heims. No adjustment.
- Leaf springs optional on the rear end. No combination coil/leaf spring suspension. Aluminum lowering blocks permitted on rear end.
- Three (3) link coil suspension may be used. Upper links limited to four (4) biscuits, Ford type or Poly-urethane only. Maximum diameter 3 ½ inches, maximum thickness 1 ¾ inches. No spring rubber style. Solid or cushioned Panhard bar or J bar permitted. Cushion limited to one (1) biscuit per side, no springs of any type.
- Upper trailing arms on four (4) link suspension must be in stock location, in stock mounts, and be of stock length.
- Quick steering device may be used.
- NO traction control devices.
- Maximum track width – Eighty (80) inches outside sidewall to outside sidewall front and rear.
- One hundred eight (108) inch minimum wheel base must be maintained at all times.
- Any added weight MUST be securely attached with a minimum of two (2) ½ inch diameter bolts. Any added weight MUST be painted white and MUST be identified with a car number on it.
- Maximum of four (4) shocks, one (1) per wheel may be used.
- No Schrader valves
- All steel
Claim of $50.00 for any shock. Participating Sportsman driver must present written claim and monies (cash only) to protest/tech official prior to start of the feature race. Claim must specify number and location of shock(s) to be claimed. Driver of car with shock(s) claimed will be notified after the feature race. Car with claimed shock(s) will proceed immediately to claim area for removal and transfer of shock(s). Refusal to sell may result in a $50.00 fine the first time, 2nd time $100.00 fine, and 3rd time – suspension for balance of the season. ALL CLAIMS ARE FINAL.
WHEELS AND TIRES
- Wheels may be a maximum of eight (8) inches wide. Right side wheels MUST be reinforced. Two (2) bead locks optional.
- Hoosier E-Mod required. A40, H40 and A40S only. “A40” must durometer 45 minimum before race. “H40” must durometer 60 minimum before race. “A40S” must durometer 50 minimum before race
- Tire grooving and siping approved.
- Wheel studs: 9/16 inch or 5/8 inch wheel studs MUST be used on the right side.
- Mud plugs MUST bolt in behind bead lock or be foam type.
- Tire sniffing sample testing or confiscation are at the discretion of race director or track promoter.
SAFETY AND APPEARANCE
- All cars MUST be equipped with a driver’s side window net. Mounting MUST be approved by safety officials. If your window net comes down during a race you may be fined $10.00. NO car may start a race without a window net.
- All Competitors MUST wear an approved racing helmet. Full face and current Snell rated recommended.
- All Competitors MUST wear an approved fire retardant driving suit. All Competitors MUST wear safety goggles or face shield.
- All cars MUST be equipped with approved safety belt and shoulder harness, double straps are required. They MUST be installed in a manner approved by safety officials. Only quick release Racing type belts will be allowed. All cars MUST have a five (5) point seat belt system, seat belt, shoulder harness and crotch strap. Minimum of three (3) inch wide belts MUST be used. Seat belts and driver seat MUST be secured to the frame or roll cage. We recommend that the seat belt and shoulder harness be replaced every two (2) years.
- All cars MUST be painted and MUST be in a clean and presentable condition upon entering competition.
- The car number MUST be painted on the car in a legible manner and in sharply contrasting colors 18 inches high on both sides of the car and on the roof facing the left side. A white number minimum of 6 inches high painted on a black background MUST be mounted in the upper right hand corner of the windshield opening. Competitors name must appear above the door.